The trip

Record of my adventures / food diary
Covering gap year travels and my year abroad in Mexico!
....And now also providing procrastination from my internship

Saturday 2 April 2011

Off to a flying start

Was up at 5.30 am on Friday morning to pack up the last few things and say bye to the family then it was off to Heathrow with dad. Ended up being really early as only took us 50 mins to get there!
Anyways, go to drop off my bags and the lady says they had to move my seat so they could put a family together, obviously being on my own this isn't an issue, so the lady prints me off another boarding pass. Then as I'm going through security this lady keeps asking me whether i'd already been through and come back out again? After a couple minutes of repeating this she lets me through. I think nothing of it at the time as, firstly she didn't speak that great english so i was kinda confused by her anyways then on top of that after all she let me through right!
So, I'm sitting eating breakfast and am checking the screen to see what gate I am. However, looking at it, I'm thinking i'm sure that's not the same gate the lady at check-in told me. So I get out my boarding pass to double check, only to discover that it doesn't have the same gate as the screen is telling me, and hey wait a sec I'm also not going to New York, and I am most definately not a Mr Howard Chiung?
At which point simply put i start to panic. So after several minutes of wondering in circles and just generally worrying what on earth I'm supposed to do, I mean what if my baggage is on that flight. Didn't actually occur to me at this point to check the luggage sticker they'd given me, noooo that would be far to sensible/obvious! I finally spot the handy customer services counter situated about 5 feet from where I am! Luckily they sort it all out for me after I tell them my litttle problem!
After, that I had a pretty uneventful flight albeit very long! Not to mention the 30 mins it took to park the plane, another 20 to get off then another 40 to get through security/customs and get my luggage! Arriving in LA I thought i would have a nice relaxed evening to recover..... wrong.
Aunty Donna picked me up from the airport in brilliant sunshine, such a contrast to england, especially considering that at 3000 feet above LA it was still twice as hot as england! We had to rush home and dump luggage to head to the twins school for talent show rehearsals. Then it was straight to baseball practice, where I got to field and bat! Home for 30 mins for a quick change and then off to a basketball game. Still not over though, as then we went out for dinner! After 24 hours being awake on only 5 hours sleep, let's just say I slept pretty well last night!
This morning we went to see the boys play their league baseball game, which was really good though they ended up playing a second game for another team afterwards. Meaning I was sat in the bleachers for 5 hours!! And today was not good weather, I was soooo cold at the end my butt actually lost all feeling! But we're having a nice evening in tonight and then tomorrow we're off to universal studios!!! wooooo

No comments:

Post a Comment