The trip

Record of my adventures / food diary
Covering gap year travels and my year abroad in Mexico!
....And now also providing procrastination from my internship

Saturday 16 April 2011

Huacachina

Not the best nights sleep yesterday, due to being insanely hot and music blaring until like 3 in the morning. However, awoke to find both hostel and Huacachina look much nicer in the light of day. Had a pretty lazy day tbh, just kinda wondered around waiting until it was time for the sand buggy tour. So come 4 o´clock i wonder on out, only to find that they´re not ready to go yet. So bout 10 mins later me and 3 peruvian people get in the giant death trap aka the buggy;) then we go and pick up 4 others from a different hostel. Head on over to ´the exit point´where there´s a whole ton of these buggies cause basically seems everyone does them at the same time of day. Turns out you have to pay s3.6 to continue on your buggy tour, and get a little slip of paper. So, finall we´re off..... stop like 5m down the road as turns out at 4.30 we´re still waiting for 2 more people who haven´t shown up yet. Reverse all the way back to hostel, and the driver goes out to find out if they´re here yet. Couple minutes later they come dawdling along, and the lady is wearing flip-flops.
The buggies go pretty fast but they´re awesome, it´s like a mini rollercoaster. So we stop for picture time then it´s off to the first hill to try out the sandboarding. Met one girl on my buggy who was from Canada, so chatted to her whillst waiting to go again. As our driver had gone for a spin on a motorbike across the dunes. Decided to try standing up for my first couple runs, not quite the same as snowboarding as board isn´t exactly responsive. Still really fun though. So three hills later and we´re off again in the buggy. Up to the top of an even bigger sand dune. This one we all decide to go down on our stomachs and you actually go waaay faster, but end up with sand like everywhere. Did i mention it´s really tiring though as you do dunes in groups so have to wallk up bits of the next one. Anyways, all is going well, until the last duen on that run where some crazy peruvian guy decides to ignore the one by one rule and goes shooting down the slope only to crash into one of the girls in our buggy at the bottom. Most of us are still at the top so not really sure what´s happening but the girl gets up ok, though the guy is still lying in the sand. He eta checked over and after a while also gets up, though now there's still like 20 ofbus at the top an weirdly enough no-one wants to go first! Back at the bottom we have to hike up this massive dune to reach the buggy so totally dying by the time we reach the top. The guy who crashed has cuts and marks all over his face and looks pretty beat up, so when we dire off again the driver has to do it really smoothly and whilst is still fun nowhere near as good as before when you would literally fly or your seat! Also I think we missed out on the last sandboarding runs as none of the other groups we ha been with came back at the same time! Back in my room turns out shower was perfect for getting ridnof the sand which had managed to get everywhere! Also was quite refreshing having a cold shower after being boiling all day.
After the chicken sandwich decided to go a lil safer and went to one of the other hostels to have dinner.had a very good burger and fries - I know mom isn't it great me expanding my culinary tastes ;) Have to say though whilst burger was really good, not entirely sure what el carne was, and didn't really cre to find out! Also sampled local beer which was pretty good, Tbh as long as it's a light beer, most of them taste the same to me! Was a nice place to eat though as overlooked the water and there were street performers just outside.
However after dinner had a headache so attempted an early night though the music had started at 6.30 and was still going at 4.15 this morning. Not sure why it was necessary though considerig the absolute lack of people in tue bar the last time that I checked! This morning was onto nazca, on an even comfort bus than last time. Apaz cause it's a cruzero service! Rolling into nazca it didn't give the greatest impression as seems to be just a stopover town for those moving on/ seeing the lines. Arriving at the bus station still can't say I'm used to being accosted by taxi/tour people the moment you step into the terminal. After getting a bit confused as to finding a phone that turned out to be like 5 fy away from me, I then couldn't actually get t to work! On end I gave up and got one of the security guys to help me do it, eventually getting my hostel which sent someone to Pick me up. Shows a difference between ere and home when there are proper gun toting security guards for buses!this hostel seems quite nice and has free internet plus a lil pool who I'm gonna check out later. Went for a lil walk around town and really wasn't much to look at. Just need to find some dinner though bwfoe I starve! Though tomorrow they have an eat all you can breakfast buffet for like 8sol (£1.90?) so will make good use of that assuming it's any good. Then off to see the nazca lines aswell tomorrow though taking the happy taxi/ mirador option as costs like £1.20 as opposed to the £60+ for the 1/2 hour flight over them. In fairness I'll only see two but I'm pretty sure they're all kinda the same and that'll cover it for me ;) then I've got my night bus at 10.30 tomorrow so should be fun! I've got like a bed seat on the bus so should be pretty good considering I could have easily slept on the normal seats especially when there's no-one behind you as you can properly recline the seats. Though I suppose that doesn't really tell you much about the seats considering I can sleep anywhere pretty easily! ;) in hindsight defo dot need to pay the extra for bed seat! Anyways think you've probably had more than enough of my ramblings now. Though u better appreciate this post as has been deleted multiple times by rubbish Internet!

No comments:

Post a Comment