The trip

Record of my adventures / food diary
Covering gap year travels and my year abroad in Mexico!
....And now also providing procrastination from my internship

Monday 2 May 2011

What Not To Eat...

Sooo, another really busy week means That I haven't had the time to sit down and update the blog so here goes. Bear in mind this may also be really random ordering as I tend to put things in when I remember them even if they don't really fit in at said point! ;)
So, weekdays were basics same format during the day with Spanish lessons in the morning and then working in the school in the afternoon. I think my Spanish is improving and the school is good aswell.
Anways, as the title may suggest the main happening in the week centered around food! (u may at this point be thinking so what's new but this was different) so I think my stomach had got used to the safety foods of bread, peanut butter, fruit, biscuits and empanadas and when I decided to break the mould I think it may have been a bit of an overload from te staples! Lol
So on Tuesday we had the volunteer meeting as usual at the house. Every week someone cooks the meal an then we just split the cost at the end. So on Tuesday it was like a stir fry rice with chicken which was really good! Then on Wednesday we went out to tacos y tequila Which pretty much says what it is on the label, though I actually had this massive burrito and 'bolas de la revolucion' simply for the name. After this we also decided to go get ice cream somewhere else in centro! So this marked the beginning of stomach pains when I returned home that night. Wasn't feeling great all night and the next day aswell. Also one of the others who'd come out with us was I'll aswell so thinking maybe something I ate or the combination?! But felt a lil better by evening so went back with the others to their house for movie night. However the bakery had run out of empanadas and couldn't be bothered to walk back to other food shops so settled for 2 apple pies and a massive chunk of chocolate cake washed down with like a litter and half of inka kola. Needless to say this was not the greatest plan just cause I had momentarily felt a lil better. But stuck it out a while as I was waiting for the popcorn(which somehow took an hour to make?) before we started the movie. However with the movie being black swan (utter ****/just plain creepy to those who haven't yet had the misfortune to see it) I headed back early like 10ish?
So by Friday I actually felt like someone was twisting my insides. My Spanish teacher told me I'd basics just eaten a succession of things I shouldn't combine and then stuff I shouldn't eat when u have a dodgy tummy, so she recommended some pills and flat coke. Pharmacy decided to give me different pills but they temporarily relieved the pan enough for me to go out Friday night! (was ill last weekend so no way was gonna stay in otra vez) anyways tummy is still randomly paining me but have been running about a lot and just generally ignoring it so all shall be well! :) not moving away from food to te rest of the week!
So yeh week was pretty busy. We also had new people start at the school in Monday and then at Spanish classes two of the people finished on Friday! Also I have decided I am like perfect combo height as I don't have to stoop! Lol tho today we had a short combo so had serious crick in my neck by the time we got off! O yeh and I think on Monday there was this appallingly bad guitar playing man who got on the cpmbi and proceeded tonplay and sing horrifically! We're pretty sure it was only like two lines on a loop as well! Anyways I think he took the crowds hint as didn't ask for a penny before getting off, suppose it's one of the few places where the audience can't run away! ;)
Yeh so like I said wnt out Friday night and I think like pretty much all of us did. However, had a bit of a disastrous start to the evening! I went home after school to dump stuff and get a key for the house to let myself back in later, also went and got something for dinner. So the plan was to head over to the house to meet up with everyone for predrinks. Anyways set off like about 8.30 to walk to centro as like halves price of taxi plus I wanted to change some money. However, no idea how but somehow got lost ? Now those who know me should be aware whilst I have a terrible sense of direction I only need to go somewhere once to remember the route so really not sure what happened there but ended up in like the china town of Arequipa, and needless to say that made me te only gringo in sight! Also when I asked people where I was I soon realized that was a stupid question as it didn't actually help me!
Also they only pointed vaguely in a direction when I enquired as to the whereabouts of the plaza de armas so am thinking musta been witw far out! Also on top of that none of the taxis were free, only the dodgy unknown ones. Anyways by some miracle an hour later I ended up in a part of town I knew and headed back to centro. However to top everything off I realized at this point I had lost the adress of the house! So headed to the bar we were gonna go to first, but ten realized also didn't know where that one was! Lol so went and sat on a bench in the plaza de armas like a right lil tramp with my plastic bag with it's vodka n coke. (I had actually planned not really to drink as was a lil ill but..? ;)
Anwyas like 15 mins later I hear my name being shouted and by another stroke of luck one of the other volunteers is there! Can't say how grateful I was to find her and her friend! Anyways, she also doesn't live at the house and so had arranged to meet them at 10 in plaza de armas but no one had turned up! Also in case ur thinking why not just call them - no numbers between the three of us! Anywyas went back to bar they were supposed to be in but still no sign of then so we decided to go somewhere else. Ended up in some club where u had to pay to get in. Also had heard it was a salsa club and thought that meant that was just the kinda music it played, but no, it meant todos could dance like really well, plus they only played like 6 songs on loop! But was massive ad we decided to stay there for an hour or so as had paid to get in. Sent her frend home like at 12.30 (she had a curfew) then went back to that same bar where they were supposed to be and lo and behold they were finally there, just turns out they'd kinda waited a while at the house thinking maybe we were just a lil late and then hadn't really realized the time! Anyways hung out there a while a then headed over to the main club 'deja vu' which was just insanely packed and can't really describe what the music was like but eveypne wasnhaving a great time so... :) tho once the band finessed the music didn't really improve till like 2.30? When it started to play stuff we actually knew! Lol anyways we had plans for next day so weren't out too late, think got to bed like 3.30/4?
So, was up again like at 10 as was meeting some others in centro(elke,mariela and Isabel) to go visit the monastery which was like a lil city in itself. Was kinda expensive to get in (relative) so we decided to take our time Nd spent like 3hours going round and had lung there too. I just liked all the different colours though turned out if u lent on the walls they dyed u whatever colour they were! Lol
After headed over to where I live and ended up having a very south American evening, jks we had kfc and went to see Thor 3D in English with Spanish subtitles! Was nice tho.
Then yesterday was up really early again like 5.50 as we wanted to go to the petroglyphs (pictures on stones) bit they're 3 hours away by bus. However by a series of unfortunate events I was 5 mins late for the bus so we missed the 7.30 an had to wait for the 9 one instead! Oops only three of us had decided to go (me, mariela and Isabel) as some others wanted to go with a guide or just thought we'd get lost! Anyways I slept the journey there and we arrived in the lovely town of corire who's centro commercial is like 4 stores? ;) anyways we found a taxi that was willing to take us to the petroglyphs and hang around for 1 1/2 hours whilst we wandered around. Ita a good thing we chose to get a taxi as would have totally got lost trying to walk there! Anyways it's basics up a hill in the desert in the middle of nowhere. We were the ONLY people there! But was interesting and spent the time taking random photos and view was awesome if slightly surreal. Tho we decided judging by the quality of some pictures they're probs a hoax and all ye peruvians are thinking ha look at the gringos paying money to go see a bunch of rocks! ;) but was a nice day out and got out of the city tho was seriously hot!went back to corire and were gonna eat there but being a Sunday there really wasn't much open nor really much at all! Also there was a bus leaving for Arequipa as we arrived so got on that. Bus people laughed at us as we had travelled 3 hours there and spent 2hours 15 mins in the place! But we saw what we wanted to so all was good! Also slept way back tho woke up at one point when it looked like we were gonna fall down the mountain as there are no barriers and the road just drops down off the side! Lol had nice dinner back in Arequipa, am currently eating s lot of chicken but alls good! Also refused to pay 5sol for the taxi back from bus station as journey is only 4 sols so argued until he lowered the price! Lol only like 20/25p but was the principle that he was trig to overcharge us! ;)
So what else is there to tell you? (assuming u haven't stopped reading by this point in the ramblings) there's anther girl staying at my house who's also havig lessons at the Spanish school. She's from Austria and 22, obvs her English is perfect and from what she's told me I think her Spanish must e pretty good too tho haven't heard her speak yet so who knows? Seems nice enough tho didn't wanna come out with us on fri and have been out all weekend so havent really had time to speak to her! Also everything here seems to be cooked in masses of salt! Ooh may have mentioned this before but tried queso helado and was really good tho insanely sweet like evryrhong here I suppose! Tho not actually made from cheese as name may suggest merely made in similar manner! Also there are two really cute lil dogs at the Spanish school called chester and suzie(tho more commonly sucia due to her general state of dirtiness!) . They're really friendly though a bit stupid as they're constantly running in circles an never listen to what they're told! Today almost didn't recognise them as they had a bath over the weekend! Lol
So I think thats everything u need to know and shall update again when I have time so probs next week again! ;)

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful stream of consciousness - glad you are enjoying yourself (stomach bugs excluded)
    Dad

    ReplyDelete