The trip

Record of my adventures / food diary
Covering gap year travels and my year abroad in Mexico!
....And now also providing procrastination from my internship

Sunday 29 May 2011

Quiero quedarme en Arequipa!

So last week in Arequipa! Got back from colca on the Monday evening, smelly and tired! Had to go back to the volunteer house as I'd left stuff there. Then there was wallet making planned for that evening so figured didn't make sense to go home before so just had a shower and changed there. We managed to make quite a lot of wallets though I had to leave about 9.30 to go home as I didn't have a key! Tuesday was the first day I was able to have a bit of a lie in , like my whole time there! Was still working at the school in the afternoons Tuesday till Thursday but once didn't have Spanish lessons any more in the morning giving me a lol bit of free time! So explored a lol more Arequipa and finally had the time to go the mercado San camilo which is this massive 3 story market. Made the mistake of going to the live animal floor, and couldn't coped with the smell however walked up the stairs to see a lady skinning what In my mind was a live guinea pig/rat! Ewwwww however did find some cool stuff there like 90p books so got Harry potter in spanish for an easy read, then 'cien anos de soledad' in Spanish aswell to read at some point with a dictionary! ;) was doing cancha this week as well so me and Caitlin amused ourselves by doing random races so hopping and u have to pick up all it team to like wheelbarrow races, but was fun. Am missing the school as had really got into it after 5 weeks and most ofthe kids were really cute, tho they all had their moments!
So Tuesday night a whole bunch of us went out after the meeting. Started as Uve proba already guessed at the happy hour bars ;) then we went in sear h of karaoke! Tho ended up in some random crummy Peruvian bar with a karaoke section, but all the songs were in Spanish and sounded the same! Lol
Then on Wednesday I had to move out of my house ad there were new people coming to stay, so I relocated to a hostel in the centre where Emma was also staying. Was really sad to leave my Peru mom, really glad I was lucky enough to have such a nice family who like included me in their events like Easter dinner/mothers day lunch! Went back tho Thursday to say another goodbye, chat a bit, give a lol present and get a photo with my Peru mom!
So then Wednesday and Thursday night were just chilled and I hung out at the house with the others. Friday was my last day in Arequipa :( so spent re morning trying to get sorted, like had to buy my bus ticket for the next day to puno which was at 8 in the morning! Then somehow managed to lose $20 which obviously was not good! So wandering the streets looking a oil depressed bumped into ric and Phillipa who were on the way to supermercado to get the stuff for thatnights BBQ! (yes we were having a BBQ) so joined them and was good thing I did as ric had to leave early for his Spanish lesson and otherwise phillipa wouldve been left with all the stuff to take back sola and we bought a LOT of food! Anyways didn't go to school that afternoon so I could get all my stuff together and then was supposed to go help marlous start the cooking as obvs the others wouldn't be back to later after school! Anyways genius that I am when I was heading over to the house I thought I was being clever taking a different combi that went direct to the main road near te house! Only issue was it came out at the wrong end of the road! So there's me looking like a right iiot running up, and I mean up, avenida independencia being stated/laughed at by passers by. So all in all took a lot longer/ more energy than normal to get there! Still was a good hour before the others were due back so set out preparing my BBQ chicken then moved onto the veggies which I thought was quite funny as I can't cook nor do I eat veggies tho I ended up making the salad and grilled veg! Lol we ended u with masses of food was an awesome BBQ if I do say so myself tho ric had a few issues with starting the actual BBQ so I was cooling the veg inside. Then marlous made great cheesy garlic bread aswell! Wooo had small incident a lol later when we decided to flash fry the sausages etc inside before putting them on the BBQ. Sausages were thrown in a pan of oil and said oil ended up on my arm! :( needless to say I did my usual of jumping up and down shouting for a minute Before shoving my Arm under the tap! But all was fine after completely numbing my arm with several ice cubes! Lol and BBQ was awesome and was polished off with wine by the carton and spiced rum! :) then doctor li (another volunteer who's actually a doctor) found a burn gel pad thingy in the first aid kit. So we strapped that to my arm with an abundance of tape tho was so wet kept slipping so had to put more and more tape on it! Lol tho smelt really good like tea tree oil! Still hurt a lil so someone found me some nice green painkillers, tho only thing available to wash it down was cerveza! Lol proba didn't help. Anyways had some rum to finish so played couple rounds of I think spoons, tho can't really remember before heading out! Now claro regresamos a happy hour bars to begin with where we discovered we could request songs so on came lonely island! Lol now at this point I was carrying my shirt and jumper as had to take it home but didn't wanna get it wet however was cold and so not sure why but ended up wearing ric's jumper! So when we got into Deja vu went to put our stuff in lockers including my jumper and shirt. Then upstairs bumped into Carlos and Karin so stopped to chat a bit but then lost them again in the crowd! Anyways due to having early bus next morning didn't wana stay late, however not sure what happened as all of a sudden it was like 4.15! Lol then we couldn't find phillipa who had the number for the locker with our stuff! Eventually think ric found her and brought me my jumper, but somewhere in the process my denim shirt had disappeared! Not sure what happened to it but at that point was to tired to care knowing I had to be up again in a couple hours to take a 6 hour bus! So got back about 4.30 ish with a burnt arm, missing a shirt, 20 sols, $20, and the key for my padlock (no worries I had a spare). Not to mention only had 3 hours sleep before getting up to take the bus to puno! Lol needless to say I was not a happy bunny in the morning, was actually dying the bus ride there! But all in all was an awesome night to round off a great stay in arequipa! Defo missing all the people from Arequipa!

No comments:

Post a Comment