The trip

Record of my adventures / food diary
Covering gap year travels and my year abroad in Mexico!
....And now also providing procrastination from my internship

Monday 9 May 2011

Sleep deprivation and una bebida mas

Sooo, I know I've said this every week so far but this week seemed even busier than the last! ;) hence the delay in updating the blog. And to repeat the disclaimer things will probably be in an illogical order due to doing this on my iPod - not the easiest of tasks!
Anwyas, This week there were road works all up the main road which meant tons of traffic and seriously overcrowded combis . Also they only work during day and take like a 3 hour gap to descansar! Lol so they did half the road last week and are currently working on the other half now! But was so crowded that on Tuesday some of the volunteers actually couldn't get ona combi to the school! Also I had bad combi luck this week as was practically being hugged for one journey by some smelly gordita and then was sitting next to a really fat guy another day. Then to top it off was having a nice nap one day then woke up as I started hearing like shouting, and for first minute or two couldn't work out where t was coming from, only to subsequently realize that some crazy had sat next to me, and was busy talking in this insanely loud voice with such gems as "que sabes del amor? El amor es solo un juego" (what do u know of love? Love is only a game!) lol
Spanish lessons continue, having stuck them out for 3 weeks figured might as well do the last week aswell! Got my two teachers, Maria and Carlos, dunno if I've mentioned before but very different teaching styles. SeƱora Maria does lots of exercises but it's good to review all the grammar and we're looking at poetry and stories at the mo so is quite interesting! Carlos on the other hand basics we just talk for most of the time and then do like a reading on economy/families or sumtin. He has some interesting if maybe inappropriate jokes though and am defo expanding my vocal in our lessons! ;)
School was good this week, me and Isabel were 'in charge' of cancha time and we got some new equipment this week, so skipping ropes, hula hoops and more balls. So we made like a circuit with different activites, tho when it was Romero split for basketball and football, most of the kids just wanted to play with the new stuff! Also on Friday we made mothers day cards as it was yesterday in Peru. Tho we reviewed family at the beginning of the lesson as it suddenly occurred to us that some of the kids may not have a mom, really makes u think as isn't something you'd cosider at home! Thankfully they all did! And so I also made a card for my arequipenan mom! :) also quite a few people left over the weekend, including the girl I was teaching with, Isabel. So one of the new girls who aeries last week, philipa, is doing my class with me. Tho today was a lil bad as I forgot to do a lesson plan as I fell asleep yesterday! Lol so we played games reviewing all the stuff we'd done in tue past few weeks, and was actually really nice to see that they remembered it all!
Anyways, as usual Monday was my day de descansar so just chilled in the evening. Then Tuesday is the meeting at the volunteer house so we went straight there from school. Jess had made Mexican for dinner which was really good plus cocktails with tuna fruit(very nice orange fruit nothing like tuna!) then Wednesday we all went out for a meal in the evening so think there were 20 of us! Lol we picked somewhere on the plaza dr armas as u can sit upstairs and it overlooks the plaza. Obvs with such a big group all the people are wanting u to go into their restaurant! Prices kept getting lower with free pisco sours being thrown in! In end we settled for one place tho regretted it a lil when we got upstairs and te other place looked way nicer! But turned out to be not that bad and tbh it was 10sols for the set menu of a strter, main and drink (like £2.20?) on the other hand it took forever for food to come so we filled in the time with drinks. Also he messed up the food order a lil as there was 1 less starter than people so his solution was it's ok I'll just bring another avocado! Lol anwyas after the meal we decided to head out for a drink tho with so Manu of us anywhere we went we kinda took over. Eventually settled in a Irish hostel bar! Had pretty old school but decent music if a lil loud! Anyways got home earlyish bout 12.50? Tho it's the getting up by 8 that is killing me! ;) so thurday night was movie night again! So caught a combi over to the house, tho was greeted with displeasure as I wasn't pizza. The doorbell rang like 3 more times aswell before it was pizza at the door! Lol was a lil on the small side for my taste but pizzas pizza! Also was a romcom this time so much better! I'd already seen part of the film on theplane over but turns out I'd missed quite a lot of the beginning! Was pretty good tho - life as we know it. But also meant didn't get home till just before 12. Then on Friday I decided to sleep over at the house as we were getting up early to go to the salt flats on Saturday morning! Anyways as I was arriving some of the others were off wine shopping so I added my order! Anyways we Had a pretty jokes evening and got to bed relatively early like 12 again! Then was up at 7.30 Saturday morning as we were being picked up at 8 from the house. 7 of us went (me, Isabel, mariella, Gemma, Jess, elke and natta) me and natta had volunteered to sit in the back of the truck which really wasn't that bad as there was a reasonable amount of space! However we had been told it'd be like 2 hours to get there not 4! We ten spent another hour driving around what in reality was a lake with lil patches of salt! However there were llamas, alpacas and flamingos there! I said o didn't mind staying in back for return journey as it hadn't been that bad going up! Rookie error u go like three times as fast downhill and by the time we got down I was seriously bruised and minorly concussed aswell from whacking my head on the roof/window so many times! Whilst it wasn't that good in the sense of really not what we had been expecting, it was a nice day out from the city.
I then had a couple hours to go home, shower and rest before I headed back over to the v house as we were going out for dinner but I couldn't have a key so decided to sleep there for the night otra vez. Anyways headed over and we decided to go to plaza de armas agin but to the place we hadn't picked on Wednesday, though there were only 9 of is this time! Was only 5 sols more but was really good, I had this massive bowlof what was supposedly chicken soup but didn't taste asi, garlic bread and trucha a la plancha! Then went for ice cream round the corner for desert! Had best combo ever of like chocolate cookie ice cream and mango! If uve never tried mango ad chocolate ice cream together before ur seriously missing out! Lol
So, after the ice cream half of the group went home as were tired/traveling next day, but me, Isabel, phillipa and Tiffany decided to go out as tiffany only arrived last week and really wanted to go out, so we said we didn't mind going out but me ad isabel were like we don't wanna go out for long, just one drink really...... Well 5 1/2 hours and muchos drinks later things hadn't really gone according to plan! Lol we'd started in this one bar with a happy hour from 6-12! (don't think they'd quite got the concept of happy HOUR) Lol but we chose it as it had pretty good music tho deteriorated a lil once the dj started! Problem may have been that It didn't make economical sense to buy single drinks wen was same price to buy three! Lol anyways headed onto Deja vu' after, seemed a lil empty to begin with bit that quickly changed, also was playing way better music than last eeek! Saw some people who'd we'd met the week before there aswell so got a chance to practice my somewhat slurred Spanish ;) anyways, managed to get a taxi home after a lil walking and avoiding the dodgy taxis. Unfortunately only had just over 5 hours sleep as had to get up to head home across town as was going for mothers daylunch with the fam! Only thing was all my clothes like properly reeked of smoke and I can't stand that smell, so did seriously contemplate going home in my pyjamas, however being the blatantly pbvious ones which are covered in monkeys, decided even I couldn't face the combi ride home being ridiculed by randomers! Only had time at home to quickly breakfast, shower, change and spend 5 mins feeling sorry for myself before it was time to go! It was me, karin, Peru mom and her daughter. Tho we stopped off to pick up her mother from her home meaning there were 4 of us in the back of the taxi which is like the size of a KA! Also turned out we weren't going straight to lunch, we were going to church first! This trip I'm going more to church than I normally do in a whole year! Lol also there were no seats in the church and I genuinely just wanted to curl up and die! ;) so afterwards we headed over to her sisters house for lunch which was takeaway chicken and chips and then this awesome meringue cake for desert! Soooo tired at this point was struggling to not fall asleep at the table, tho luckily her daughter had gone out too night before so was tired aswll meaning we headed home by 4. Tho not before we'd looked at pictures from the royal wedding, analysing the outfits and just generally mocking the ridiculous array of hats! At home whilst the others went o descansar I fell asleep on the couch ad didn't wake up till like 7. Then went back to sleep at 8.30! Which is wht I had no lesson plan today!
Today though was laundry day, as have just been wearing everything and just washing underwear! Lol but had run out od clothes plus there were the ones where I couldn't get rid of the smoke smell! However didn't entirely think it through as I genuinely took like ecryhing to the laundrette and told the lady this is all my clothing, please dear god don't shrink it! ;) also realised I have like no socks, dunno where they've gone so had to bit some more today! But yeh only had like a pair of shorts and long sleeved top left so was kinda cold today! Bit cam go collect it tomorrow at lunch, tho dunno what I can wear in the morning! Lol also 8 kilos of washing is knda expensive like £10 dunno of this was the best option but Peru mom vouched for it Nd think it is more important I don't shrink all my clothing! ;)
Think that's gotta be everything! Won't be able to update again till either Friday or Tuesday as I'm going to colca canyon fr the weekend, tho tbh proba won't be Friday! ;)
Also can't believe this is week 4 in Arequipa! Dunno where the times going I only have under two weeks left! :( to through in a bit of my new grammar, si tuviera mas tiempo, me gustaria quedarme aca! ;)

1 comment:

  1. Mango & chocolate - thought I'd invented that combo!!!

    ReplyDelete