The trip

Record of my adventures / food diary
Covering gap year travels and my year abroad in Mexico!
....And now also providing procrastination from my internship

Sunday 29 May 2011

Onwards to lake titicaca

Soo arrived in puno after the horrendous 6 hour bus journey, luckily didn't have to worry bout taxis or anything as Rosie had already arranged one for me as they were already at the hotel. Arrived at our hotel but Rosie and mom were still out on their tour so went for lil wander, but it was soooo cold! I was wearing a vest, two tops, a fleece, my hoodie and a hat - still cold! Anyways, when they got back we went for dinner which was basically pick a pizzeria! I ended up ordering a familiar size pizza as I was starving, though when it came the guy went to put it on the middle of the table and I was like, ummmm actually that's just for me! Lol
Next day we all had to get up early as I had my tour of lake titicaca and Rosie/mom were taking the morning bus to cusco. So off they went and I hopped in a mini van to head down to the port. Was quite chilly down there and also our guide started every sentence in Spanish with 'mis amigos' then repeated everything in English with 'well my friends' so had to listen to it twice! Was still knackered so slept the first like 40 mins to the Uros islands which are the Reed floating islands. Kinda disneyesque as you arrive and they sing to you. And it was cool but they were a lil surreal! I personally think once all the tourists leave they put their American clothing back on and hop on a motor boat to the main land! Then is another like 2.3/3 hours to taquile island, though to begin with the boats are super slow I think ours was like extra slow! Anyways decided to sit up top for the view so chatted to these two Peruvian ladies and this guy from japan, though he was half Italian. Taquile had awesome views and we had a good lunch there before walking across to the other side of the island to get the boat. Chatted to this old American guy who was telling me I should defo go to Vegas in the future tho need to find comp room! Lol him and his friend came out with some random things like 'do you have grafitti in England?' and 'have you ever played basketball in Mexico?' lol then was another 3 hours or so to get back to punk, tho slept most of it. Had to go back to hotel to sort out bus ticket which they'd got for me and check out. Then met the Japanese guy from tour for dinner cause he knew a place where you got a three course meal for 3.50 sold (75p?) lol admittedly it came into the restaurant through a hole in the wall but.... For that price ;) also was good thing i left puno that night as the policeman told us they were gonna be blocking the roads out of puno the next day! And now a week later it's still all blocked up and people who left like a day after me said there were proper riots and people were chucking rocks at the buses as they left! So that was my quick trip to lake titicaca! :) next stop was cusco via my 7 hour night bus due to arrive at 4.30 in the morning! Will tell u all about it in the next post! Almost up to date now! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment