The trip

Record of my adventures / food diary
Covering gap year travels and my year abroad in Mexico!
....And now also providing procrastination from my internship

Saturday 10 August 2013

Always with the rushing!

Thought would be easier to split the post into pre/post arrival in Mexico.
So needless to say the whole 'I'm going to document the time leading up to my year abroad' was quickly abandoned.
But I did manage to sort flights, accomodation and visa all in good time. Although I have no idea where the past two months went, time just seemed to fly by and before I knew it, it was time to go.
Unsurprisingly, I didn't even attempt to sort my stuff out until the last minute. But even I didn't think I'd be stupid enough to try and sort/pack everything the night before but of course I did. It then turned out I needed a few things so hit the shops up first thing in the morning before we left for the airport. After, throwing everything in the car, spent the first 20mins of the journey panicking about what important thing I'd left behind, but turns out did a pretty good job and seemed to have everything.
I also took every advantage of the hand luggage allowance with a giant duffle bag which had my tennis racket sticking out of it, my rucksack and then what jumpers/jackets hadn't fit in the hold bags. By the time I'd finished rearranging my bags / collecting money, ended up saying a very quick bye to the family as needed to get through security.
I had a connection in Toronto, so was like 7 hours there, 2 hour connection, then another 5 hours to Mexico City. Flight was absolutely packed, no free seats at all. I found myself across the aisle from an interesting family with 2 kids who provided amusement when my tv wasn't working. My favourites were:
-   'Mommy why is this apple so squishy?'
-   'That's a plum sweetie'
And the little boy going:
-   'I know what you guys sing at school, O England (to tune of O Canada)
Although the mom provided her fair share of entertainment too when she asked another kid if we had tooth fairies in England. She also spent the first 20mins of the flight very loudly complaining that the internet had lied to her about the film selection on-board as she didn't have Lord of the Rings which she was so looking forward to seeing, until finally discovering it under the letter L!
Got my first taste of 'mexican timing' when my connection was still stated as on-time even though 5mins before it was due to leave we still hadn't even started boarding!
Arrived in Mexico City at 11.30pm, and was pretty quick going through security etc. Then my lift was waiting when I got into arrivals hall (the landlady and her daughter picked me up). I'm actually living in Estado de Mexico which is north of Mexico City so was about a 40min drive. By time I arrived at house after like 18hours of travelling, all I wanted to do was sleep! I was introduced to my new housemates and then allowed to go to sleep.
My room is quite small but it's great cause it has so much storage space, which I was seriously lacking in Exeter. And the house is really nice. There's 4 rooms and 2 bathrooms on each floor. Then the ground floor is a big open living / kitchen space. We've got a little garden outside aswell which is nice. There's 8 of us in the house; 4 french guys, a german guy, a colombian girl and a girl from Brazil, so we've got quite the mix of languages in the house!

No comments:

Post a Comment