The trip

Record of my adventures / food diary
Covering gap year travels and my year abroad in Mexico!
....And now also providing procrastination from my internship

Friday 30 August 2013

Adjusting to life in Mexico

So just finished by 3rd week of classes (been here for 4 weeks now) and they're starting to get better / easier. On the other hand, was totally unprepared for the amount of work they do here, it's kinda like being back at school! So on top of the monthly 'partials' and the final test at the end of the semester, there is a combination of homeworks, essays, projects, presentations and quizzes, depending on the class. Most give some form of homework every lesson, so for those modules where I have 2 lessons a week, it's 2 bits of work a week! Definitely a big change from having had 1 piece of coursework in the past two years of uni! 
Means I'm also realising I don't have as much spare time as I thought between classes, work and my extracurriculars.
Next week is the beginning of the partial exams, they're spread out over the 2 weeks, as the teacher gets to decide which lesson within that time frame you do it. Surprise though, if the exam doesn't take up the whole lesson, we have to stay and they'll just start the next topic! Wooooo
I think most of them should be ok, though my supposedly easy class 'Cultura de Mexico' is making us write a min 5 page essay when we have to do all the research etc considering that we haven't covered anything we can write about! Plus 'Business Law' has set a min 16 page group project as well as having a partial?! Not too bad as split between the group but no idea whatsoever how m gonna fill 4 pages on my topic!
However I also get the impression the exam setting is more relaxed as my 'Capital and Money markets' teacher asked whether i wanted to do the test in English or Spanish. I said I would like to try in Spanish and she said that if I had any questions during the exam I could just ask her or respond to bits in English if I forgot the words! So that's pretty cool :)
Still got quite a lot of revision to do over the next week as we seem to have covered an awful lot so far and the teachers don't upload the presentations so if I have any gaps in my notes think m gonna have to hit the library and check the textbooks!
Cause most of my classes are in Spanish I'm with Mexican rather than international students, but so far most people have been really friendly and helpful. Even though I understand what's being said in Spanish, it is nice to have someone explain it to you! 
Last weekend I went to get my hair cut as was just beginning to annoy me, only to realise whilst I can understand my lectures on law, accounting, etc i had no idea how to say any of the words relating to a haircut, or how to effectively explain what I meant. Luckily miming and talking around the words I wanted worked out ok and for £6 I'm pretty happy :) especially considering how much it costs back home!
This week we had a bit of a food shortage as we didn't make it to the supermarket on tues, so ate out tues/weds night. Had quesadillas one night and what is kinda like a sandwich with kebab meat another. Both were really good, and still haven't gotten over how cheap it is to eat here. The kebab sandwich was particularly good, I think it's pork and comes with pineapple and some other sauces - kinda tastes like the toppings on shark and bake!
The weather here is a bit random but for the most part it tends to be quite hot and clear blue skies in the morning and then by late afternoon it starts to rain / bucket is probably more accurate! Had some massive rain storms past week! Also the few odd cold days but for the most part sticks to the same pattern!
Today is Charly and Matthieu's Birthday (2 of guys in my house) so we're having a party for them in the  house. Been 'people proofing' this afternoon, which involved giving the sofa a new cover made from bin bags! #prepared Also, Hanna (roomate from Brazil) recruited us in making snacks - almost feels more like a dinner party with our trays of bruschetta and bowls of snacks! Hopefully it will have stopped raining by the time everyone arrives cause otherwise dunno how they'll all fit inside! 
Then tomorrow we're going to Xochimilco just outside Mexico City where you can 'ride in colourful boats around the canal' should be cool. Then we're staying in a hostel in D.F so we can go out in Mexico City on sat night. Then need Sunday to work and prepare for Monday! So a pretty busy weekend :)

Decided each post should have at least one photo so:
(View from our roof)


No comments:

Post a Comment