The trip

Record of my adventures / food diary
Covering gap year travels and my year abroad in Mexico!
....And now also providing procrastination from my internship

Monday 21 July 2014

A Surreal Weekend

So we got back on Friday and originally I was going to leave that same evening for a rugby tournament the next day, but got a lift sorted for super early the next morning instead which meant we had the afternoon to do some planning for the next two weeks. Alix decided to stay at the house for the weekend instead, and went into DF with Marlene (one of my flatmates).

Almost forgot to mention why I referred to Alix as 'Jinx' in the previous post. Basically he has an amazing ability to jinx everyone. So whilst we were in Yucatan, we managed to miss 2 ferries that we were early for!? The ATM stole the money from my card without giving me any cash. Then that Friday we got back, my new phone (also forgot to mention previous phone got stolen so got a replacement - that was probably stolen from someone else - but hey ho that's the way the world works!), fell a tiny height and the screen cracked, luckily it still works. Then finally I got a message from the letting agency we were using in Exeter for our house next year saying they were no longer going to give us the house due to various reasons - effectively leaving us with very few alternatives (After much pleading this was resolved and we got our house back though was a couple weeks later).

Not to mention he can also jinx other people. E.g when marlene took him into DF, the taxi they were in crashed and then they got on a bus that told them it was going were they wanted and then left them on the side of the highway a while later after telling them that actually it wasn't going where it said it was!?

So, back to the weekend. I left super early Friday morning, getting a lift from one of the rugby girls. The tournament was being held in a place called Tequisquiapan - bit of a mouthful meaning most people just shortened it to 'Tequis'.

Also, our free 'jerseys' for the tournament were literally the worst quality printed tshirts I have ever seen! Plus they were all the same size - tiny. Meaning had to wear a layer underneath aswell and ended up cutting the sleeves so it didn't cut off circulation to my arms! Plus the design on ours wasn't great to begin with, and then was only half printed so just looked ridiculous. Plus they gave like all the womens teams white tshirts with different prints so you couldn't really tell the difference sometimes! I think we played about 4 games over the day - maybe managing to win one or draw one - I don't really remember now.

Was ridiculously hot and sunny the whole day we were playing and then I kid you not, 5 mins after our last game it started tipping it down with rain. Meaning the 'old men' game was played in a downpour.

So after the game we go back to the house we're staying in - one of the girl's friend's family's house. Now before we got there, they'd told me it looked just like England. So obviously when we start going through all these little Mexican looking backroads I thought they'd seriously exaggerated.
That is until we full up to this gated community and as you enter there's a fountain with a horse and cart just outside a house with a fake thatched roof. Then they've got all these little cobbled looking streets and 'sterotypical' olden houses. The house we were in was possibly even weirder on the inside - full of breakable antiquities and odd little collections, definitely one of the most surreal looking places I have ever been. Pictures don't even do it justice as to how odd the whole thing was!

Mini England

So Surreal!

Where did it come from?


After a night out, it was time to head back the next day, giving us enough time that evening to start making some more plans for the following couple of weeks.

Awesome top I picked up at the tournament

No comments:

Post a Comment